Washington State Chapter
Washington State Chapter Home
Welcome to the Washington State Chapter of the Huntington’s Disease Society of America. We strive to offer support to those affected by Huntington’s Disease (HD) across Washington State. We align ourselves with the mission of our national HDSA: to improve the lives of people with Huntington’s Disease and their families.
In support of this mission, we offer a variety of programs and services throughout the year.
- Hold two educational events annually – a research symposium and a convention
- Facilitate a number of support groups for those affected by HD, many with professionally trained facilitators
- Employ a part time social worker who works for the chapter, helping people find services and placements when needed
- Maintain a resource directory online so that others can seek out help on their own
- Work with Center of Excellence (COE) professionals and others in the community who will be knowledgeable and able to treat patients suffering from Huntington's Disease
- Provide information on clinical trials and encourage participation
- Coordinate advocacy efforts and support national legislation to benefit individuals suffering from Huntington’s Disease
In support of these efforts, we hold several fundraising events in any given year. These include the annual fall Team Hope Walk and 5K, a dinner concert combined with a silent auction, a fun-filled, family bowl-a-thon, and encouragement of chapter members to make a monthly pledge ranging from $5.00 to over $100.00. These pledges contribute substantially to supporting our local chapter in its efforts. Our fundraising has not been limited to just these events, and in years past we have held a golf tournament and fashion shows, and are now considering bicycling and other sporting events for the future.
Over the past five or so years, there has been a tremendous amount of research done into the cause and progression of Huntington’s Disease. While the cure has not yet been found, hope has risen substantially due to new drugs coming to clinical trial with goals of improving symptom treatment and slowing progression of Disease. We all look forward to their future emergence, but we also remain dedicated to improving the lives of those who suffer from HD in the present.